3. Is Life a Ponzi Scheme? | Mark Johnston reviews Samuel Scheffler’s Death and the Afterlife.
4. Dogs Are Not People | Colin Dayan on the anthropomorphizing of animals.
5. Syria in Revolt | Eminent Syria scholar Sadik al-Azm on understanding the origins of the Syrian revolution.
6. Zero Hour | Paul Hockenos on a group of East German anarchists who built a short-lived utopia in Berlin after the fall of the Wall.
7. Style over Substance | Leland de la Durantaye on the troubles of translating Proust.
8. In Defense of Narcissism | Vivian Gornick reviews Elizabeth Lunbeck’s The Americanization of Narcissism. George Scialabba responds.
9. How Finance Gutted Manufacturing | A forum led by Suzanne Berger.
10. Marcuse Today | Ronald Aronson: Fifty years later, One-Dimensional Man is more prescient than Herbert Marcuse could have imagined.
12. Feminism Can Handle the Truth | Judith Levine on what the Rolling Stone/UVA saga means for feminism.
13. Why Public Schools Outperform Private Schools | Jeffrey Aaron Snyder
14. What Killed Egyptian Democracy? | A forum led by Mohammed Fadel.
15. Ground Down to Molasses | Dave Byrne’s epic history of the folk song “Ain’t No More Cane on the Brazos.”
16. A Better Nation | Stephen Phelan on Scotland’s divisive independence vote.
17. What Can Blind People Tell Us About Race? | by Osagie K. Obasogie.
18. Let’s Be Real | Lucy McKeon reviews two new books by Roxane Gay.